Episode 13 – Overcoming Barriers To Creativity: Part 3 - The Inner Critic
Or Dishes of Shame
Say hello to your Inner Critic, the wet blanket part of you that is happy to point out all the reasons you shouldn't start or continue your creative practice. We take a look at the myriad ways the inner critic manifests, as well as offer up some suggestions to take charge and keep a healthier perspective on the weight the inner critic carries (or doesn't!). We also talk dishes of shame and try to give our friend a new name that better reflect that everything it brings to the table isn't negative. And if your inner critic is telling you there's no point in listening to this episode, invite it to listen along. Maybe it just needs a boost!
- Learn to Play The Fool where Austin Kleon includes the concept of the beginner's mind. Just a fantastic post overall.
- Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind By Shunryu Suzuki
- Your Inner Critic is Drowning Out Your Creative Voice, Episode 331 of the Creative Pep Talk by Andy J. Pizza (transcript is included in this link). Great stuff and worth a listen!
- The obligatory link to Coaching the Artist Within by Eric Maisel
- Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chödrön
Support The Creative DoubleShot by contributing to their tip jar: https://tips.pinecast.com/jar/the-creative-doubleshot